Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows Vista/XP/2000 and Linux
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a storage device such as USB flash drive.
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
- 1) Hidden volume (steganography – more information may be found here).
- 2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be distinguished from random data).
- Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: LRW.
WHAT IS HIDDEN VOLUME ?
Hidden volume has two layer
Outer layer and inner layer
When you create a hidden volume,
you will prompt to set password for outer layer
which allow to be revealed.
While inner layer is actually the most 'private' data
It may happen that you are forced by somebody to reveal the password
to an encrypted volume.
In this case, you may just reveal outer layer password.
MAP A TRUECRYPT DATA FILE TO A NEW DRIVE
To mount a new data file to map with a new drive / volume z:
Mount Method. You can set as read only and protect your hidden volume option.
Success Mounted. and you will get an extra drive z: with your data inside.
Right click and open it. You may want to store your 'private' data inside :)
CREATE A NEW VOLUME
Creating a new volume
Select an encryption option and set the volume size then format it before you can use it.